- Keep it simple and do not anticipate conflicts/problems.
- Provide cross references based on real need, e.g., variant form(s) that actually exist on materials being cataloged, or a form that is reasonably believed would be searched by our users.
- Establish all cross references in RDA form.
- Do not make a cross-reference that is a variant form of another cross-reference.
- Do not search beyond the item in hand and the OCLC Online Union Catalog for straightforward personal names.
- Link corporate headings with name changes over time with the immediately preceding heading and the immediately succeeding heading only.
- Prepare an explanatory reference record for conference headings that have three or more distinct names.
- In establishing subject headings, provide see reference(s) only.
- Specific guidelines on which cross reference(s) to provide on an authority record
- It is always the prerogative of a cataloger to determine the need for certain cross references. The following examples are given to illustrate a specific situation. They are not meant to be prescriptive.
Establish cross-references from different forms of name by which the author may be known and under which he or she writes or is cited. This may be the author's pseudonym, real name, earlier name, later name, religious name, secular name, etc.
- 100 10 Franklin, Benjamin,|d1706-1790.
- 400 10 Franklin,|cDr.|q(Benjamin),|d1706-1790
- 400 10 Saunders, Richard,|d1706-1790.
- 400 00 Poor Richard,|d1706-1790.
- 510 10 Pennsylvania.|bGovernor (1785-1788 : Franklin)
note: do not make a cross reference for "Richard, Poor,|d1706-1790" because it is a variant of "Poor Richard."
From all variant forms of name by which the author may be known, e.g. those that appear in the author's published works, cited by prominent reference sources.
- 100 10 Cummings, E. E.|q(Edward Estlin),|d 1894-1962.
- 400 10 Cummings, Edward Estlin,|d1894-1962.
- 100 10 Hilton, Frank A.|q(Frank Albert),|d1965-
- 400 10 Hilton, F. A.|q(Frank Albert),|d1965-
note: make this reference only when "F. A. Hilton" has actually appeared in a publication
Do not make:
- 400 10 Hilton, Frank Albert,|d1965-
- 100 10 Smith, John Mark,|d1950-
- 400 10 Smith, J. M.|q(John Mark),|d1950-
Do not make:
- 400 10 Smith, John M.|q(John Mark),|d1950-
From all forms of name in which the order of entry elements varies, especially when dealing with compound names and names with prefixes.
- 100 20 Garcia Marquez, Gabriel,|d1928-
- 400 10 Marquez, Gabriel Garcia,|d1928-
- 100 10 DiIorio, Lisa A.
- 400 10 Iorio, Lisa A. Di
- 400 10 Di Iorio, Lisa A.
For literary authors, even when no cross reference is needed, create an authority record to record the classification number assigned to an author in field 053.
- 053 PS3501.M6|5NcRS
- 100 10 Ammons, A. R.,|d1926-
From a variant form of a name, including:
Commonly known form;
- 110 20 Canebrake Agricultural Experiment Station (Uniontown, Ala.)
- 410 20 Black Belt Station (Uniontown, Ala.)
- 410 20 Auburn University.|bAgricultural Experiment Station.|bCanebrake Branch
note: this could very well be a valid earlier name but treated here as a variant due to the lack of need and strong evidence.
English language form if the heading is not in English;
- 110 20 Tottori Daigaku.|bEnshurin.
- 410 20 Tottori University Forests
- 410 20 Tottori Daigaku.|bNogakubu.|bEnshurin
- 410 20 Tottori Daigaku.|bFuzoku Enshurin
Variant spelling or variant form of numerals when the cataloger deems it necessary for retrieval;
- 110 20 Three D's (Musical group)
- 410 20 3 D's (Musical group)
note: 3 D's actually appears on the cassette label.
- 110 20 3 I, International Information & Intelligence.
- 410 20 International Information & Intelligence
note: the layout might cause the users to cite this as the heading.
Do not make:
- 410 20 Three I, International Information & Intelligence
note: spell out form has never been used by the body anywhere.
- 410 20 International Information and Intelligence
_ note: this is a variant of a cross reference._
From a personal name when the initials or the title appears at the beginning of a heading:
- 110 20 M.A. Hanna Company.
- 410 20 Hanna Company
- 110 20 Professor Albrecht Penck (Ship)
- 410 20 Albrecht Penck (Ship)
From the corporate form of a geographic name, especially when dealing with local religious institutions, local branches of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and entities that contain the geographic name as part of the heading:
- 110 20 All Saints' Church (Beverly Hills, Calif.)
- 410 10 Beverly Hills (Calif.).|bAll Saints' Church
- 110 20 Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce (N.C.)
- 410 20 Raleigh Chamber of Commerce (N.C.)
- 410 20 Chamber of Commerce (Raleigh, N.C.)
- 410 10 Raleigh (N.C.).|bChamber of Commerce
Do not make:
- 410 10 Raleigh (N.C.).|bGreater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce
- 110 20 Apex High School (N.C.)
- 410 10 Apex (N.C.).|bHigh School
From the full hierarchical form when the heading is established directly or an intermediate body has been omitted:
- 110 20 National Research Council (U.S.).|bCommittee on National Statistics.
- 410 20 National Research Council (U.S.).|bCommission on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education.|bCommittee on National Statistics.
From the direct entry form of a heading when the heading is established under a parent body, but the name does not suggest subordinate entry:
- 110 10 United States.|bTask Force on the Availability of Federally Owned Mineral Lands.
- 410 20 Task Force on the Availability of Federally Owned Mineral Lands (U.S.)
From initialisms/acronyms if used by the body or vise versa:
- 110 20 NASSP Commission on Restructuring.
- 410 20 National Association of Secondary School Principals (U.S.).|bCommission on Restructuring
Do not make:
- 410 20 N.A.S.S.P. Commission on Restructuring
note: if the initialism has been used by the body, it would have been taken care of on the authority record created for the parent body.
- 110 20 RECSAM (Organization)
- 410 20 Regional Centre for Education in Science and Mathematics
- 410 20 Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization.|bRECSAM
note: this is the AACR2 form of the reference for SEAMEO Regional Centre for Education in Science and Mathematics, a variant form of the heading.
Follow any of the guidelines as given above that also seems appropriate for a given conference name.
- 111 20 EUSIPCO 90|d(1990 :|cBarcelona, Spain)
- 411 20 European Signal Processing Conference|n (5th :|d1990 :cBarcelona, Spain)
- 111 20 IFIP TC 6 International In-Depth Symposium on Network in Office Automation.
- 411 20 International In-Depth Symposium on Network in Office Automation
For conference headings that have three or more distinct names, link all name changes through the use of general "see also" references (i.e. do not specify "earlier" or "later" heading); include only headings that are used in NCSU catalog.
- 111 20 Waltham/OSU Symposium for the Treatment of Small Animal Diseases.
- 411 20 Symposium for the Treatment of Small Animal Diseases
- 511 20 Kal Kan Waltham Symposium for the Treatment of Small Animal Diseases
- 511 20 Kal Kan Symposium for the Treatment of Small Animal Diseases
Geographic names used as subject headings
Follow any of the guidelines as given above that also seems appropriate for a given geographic name. In addition, make a cross reference from an earlier form of the name.
- 151 0 Sri Lanka.
- 451 0 Ceylon
Uniform Titles for Monographs
From commonly known titles:
- 100 10 Beethoven, Ludwig van,|d1770-1827.|tSonatas, piano, no. 14, op. 27, no. 2, C# minor.
- 400 10 Beethoven, Ludwig van,|d1770-1827.|tMoonlight sonata
From the full hierarchy of titles and subparts if the subpart is being cataloged separately:
- 100 10 Tolkien, J. R. R.|q(John Ronald Reuel),|d1892-1973.|tTwo towers.
- 400 10 Tolkien, J. R. R.|q(John Ronald Reuel),|d1892-1973.|tLord of the rings.|n2.|pTwo towers