Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
- Go to Serial Control tab.
- Under “Common Tasks,” click “Check In”
- Lookup journal by title using Periodical Title and search type Browse. If unable to find by title, search by ISSN using General and search type Keyword.
- If your search comes up with only one item, a Check In: Special Instructions window should appear.
- If your search brings up multiple records, select the correct one, and a Check In: Special Instructions window should appear.
- If you are unable to find the appropriate record by title or ISSN, check for a possible title change using Ulrich's, Ebsconet, ISSN Portal and/or Google. See instructions for processing title changes.
- Some titles will have multiple serial controls. Select the appropriate print control and click “Check In Issues (o)”
- Read over the Special Instructions window and make sure the control is for the media format (i.e., print) you have in hand. Also check for any notes pertaining to the title, such as:
- BRING TO: bring the issue directly to the named person.
- CONTINUATION: title is a Continuation/Standing Order. Place on Standing order/Continuation shelf receiving shelf in bookroom.
- TOSS: Toss issue into the nearest paper recycling bin.
- Click “OK”
- If the title has no predictions set you will see a pop-up window prompting you to create predictions (see instructions for Creating Predictions). If this is not the case skip to the next step.
- Verify the next issue expected is the issue in hand by Enumeration and Chronology
- If the enumeration and chronology listed on the "Next Issue" tab matches the issue in hand, click “Check In Now”.
- If the enumeration listed does not match the issue in hand, click “Different Issue” and select the correct issue with the appropriate enumeration and chronology.
- If the enumeration listed matches but the chronology does not:
- Click “Different issue”, select the appropriate issue and click “Modify Issue”.
- Update the chronology and click “Modify Issue”
- Verify the enumeration and chronology in the pop up window and click “Check In (o)”.
- If the enumeration and chronology are combined on the issue in hand:
- Click “Different issue”
- Click “Combine Issues…”
- Check the boxes next to the issues that you are combining and click “Combine Issues”
- Modify chronology if necessary i.e. combine seasons or months. Click “Check In (o)”
- If the enumeration and chronology listed does not match anything in the different issue list:
- Check the "Received" tab to confirm that the issue is not a duplicate receipt. See instructions for checking in duplicate issues.
- Is the issue in hand a supplement? See instructions for checking in supplemental material.
- Has the title undergone a frequency change? See instructions for processing frequency changes.
- Again if the issue you just checked in is the last predicted issue you'll be prompted to create predictions (see instructions for Creating Predictions). If this is not the case click “Next Issue”.
- If it is a DH Hill title apply a call number sticker to bottom left with the call number written in pencil.
- Stamp cover and table of contents page with date stamp.
- Place issue on appropriate shelf or in appropriate bin for destination library.