440 field has been made obsolete. This page is to provide guidance for cataloging under the new guidelines.
- NCSU Implementation:
- Follow the guidelines below for original cataloging.
- Do NOT flip 440's to 490/830 in new copy cataloging.
- Marcive will (for free) convert 440 fields to 490/830 as part of our monthly processing. New copy cataloging will, therefore, be corrected when are records are returned from Marcive.
- We will not be doing any retrospective work at this time.
Coding for 490 first indicator definitions:
The definition of "0" will not change.
The following new definition for "1" is now valid:
- 1st indicator--Series tracing policy The series has no corresponding added entry (not traced) or has a corresponding 800-830 series added entry field (traced differently).
- 0 - Series not traced
- No series added entry is desired for the series.
- 1 - Series traced in 8XX field
When value "1" is used, the appropriate field 800-830 is included in the bibliographic record to provide the series added entry.
490 1#$aUniform crime reports
830 #0$aUniform crime reports (Washington, D.C.)
(The established form of entry for the series includes a parenthetical qualifier)
490 1#$aDepartment of the Army pamphlet ;$v27-50
830 #0$aDA pam ;$v27-50.
(The established form of the series is different from the series statement appearing on the item.)
490 1#$aDepartment of State publication ;$v7846.$aDepartment and Foreign Service series ;$v128
830 #0$aDepartment of State publication ;$v7846.
830 #0$aDepartment of State publication.$pDepartment and Foreign Service series ;$v128.
(The series statement contains a numbered series and a subseries, and both are to be traced separately.)
490 1#$aThe Pediatric clinics of North America ;$vv. 2, no. 4
830 #4$aThe Pediatric clinics of North America ;$vv. 2, no. 4
490 1#$aBibliographies of modern authors,$x0749-470X ;$vno. 27
830 #0$aBibliographies of modern authors (San Bernardino, Calif.),$x0749-470X ;$vno. 27.