- Bibliographic records are downloaded from or created in OCLC. If there is no copy, look for a record for the print version. Derive a new record from the print version; be sure to change Books format to Sound Recordings format (Type: i )
- 090: Classify the book according to subject matter. Juvenile fiction audiobooks will have a PZ class number and be located in JUV-FICT. Juvenile literature audiobooks will have the appropriate class number and be housed in STACKS.
- Always shelflist LRL call numbers!
- 300 field: Note the number of discs and time: e.g. 5 sound discs (4 hours, 30 min.) Use hours and minutes rather then totaling the minutes. NOTE: AACR2 does not abbreviate hours; the RDA abbreviates hour/hours as hr.
- 538: Compact disc.
- 511: Name(s) of narrator(s)
- 520: Summary of the book
- 521 0_: Target audience's grade level IF it can be easily ascertained from the container or discs. Note addition target audiences that are useful for the user, e.g. Lexile: 920, in a separate 521 field.
- 655 _0: Genre headings. Add at least one genre heading that falls under Sound Recordings. Other genre headings may be added if needed.
- 655 _0 Children's audiobooks.
- 655 _0 CD-ROM books.
- Consult with LRL staff about barcode placement. If they have no preference, place the barcode according to our guidelines.
Note: The SIRSI item type AUDIOBOOK is used for audiobooks accessed online.