- Check the Call number/Item records in SIRSI to determine which volumes have been received and bound. Remember that item records do not always display in the correct order.
- Indicators: the first indicator is blank, the second is "1." SIRSI will automatically add this when you create an 866 field.
- Subfield 8: Note that in the absence of an 853 patterns tag, |81 becomes |80 in the 866 of a newly created holdings record.
- The formatting of the 866 summary statement in the MARC holdings records follows the formatting of the 362 field in the bib record, which may differ from the format shown in the SIRSI Call number/Item records. For example, the Call number/Item records may indicate we own no.1 (2003)- while the 362 note may say, Issue 01 (Dec. '03)-
866 1 |80|aiss.1 (2003)-
Not like this: 866 1 |80|ano.1 (2003)-
- For an issue with an enumeration/chronology of "1/2007-" in the 362 field of the bib record, the 866 should look like this:
866 1 |80|a2007:1-
- Convert all numeric information, such as Roman numerals, to Arabic numerals in the MARC holdings statement.
- NCSU uses open-ended holdings statements rather than detailed issue listings. Use only the highest level of enumeration necessary for easily understood holdings. The last character for all currently received titles should be a hyphen.
866 1 |80|av.1 (1933)-
- Record more than one level of enumeration when a title adds a level, for example by adding a series number:
866 1 |80|a:v.1 (1947)-v.5 (1952); ser.2:v.1 (1953)-
- GAPS: NCSU no longer includes gaps; instead, include the available starting and ending ranges (or the start date with a hyphen for a currently received title) followed by "|zIssues missing." in the 866 note.
866: 1:|80|av.1 (1942)-v.68 (1990)|zIssues missing.
866: 1:|80|av.1 (1942)-|zIssues missing.
- NEW TITLE WITH ONLY UNBOUND ISSUES: For newer titles where no issues have yet been bound, begin the holdings statement with the first issue we have received.
866 1 |80|av.1 (2005)-
- MICROFORMS: We will continue to have closed holdings for microforms.
866: 1:|80|av.1 (1980)-v.25 (2004)
- On adding spaces in the 866 field: Catalogers should add spaces after commas and semicolons and before parentheses. No spaces before or after a colon, hyphen, or period. Note: NCSU local practice for punctuation diverges slightly from the spacing policy established by ANSI/NISO Z39.71. For more on NCSU punctuation for MARC holdings statements see Punctuation and Abbreviations for use in Holding Statements.
- Update holdings for all locations and copies, including Branch copies, when applicable.
Updated = Date of Report MARC21 character position: 008/26-31
System-supplied when changes are made to holdings information. Do not edit this field
yymmdd = Six numeric characters specifying the currency of the holdings information