The Libraries uses the Symphony ILS to manage equipment inventory for public circulation through Media Centers, the Learning Commons, various circulation desks, and the Digital Media Lab. Equipment includes laptops, cameras, camcorders, GPS devices, calculators, digital recorders, game controllers, iPods, eBook readers, headphones, and other devices used to access library content. Except for the Amazon Kindles, these devices will not not appear in the public catalog, so descriptive metadata at the title level can be minimal--sufficient to describe the category of device only, not the exact make and model. The latter can be recorded at the item level.
General guidelines for cataloging equipment
- Catalog new equipment using the EQUIP format template rather than MARC. If you accidently create a MARC format title record, you may reverse this by changing the format from the "Control" tab.
- Provided descriptive metadata should be generic ("Digital camera", "Headphone", "GPS device") rather than specific as to make and model
- Use "Extended Information" notes on item records to record make, model, serial number, and Library property ID
- Place barcode in smooth area on device where the least wear and tear from constant use is likely to occur
- Unless asked to do otherwise, do not barcode accompanying booklets, packaging, or other materials
- Except as noted for particular branches below, these should be assigned to Location TECHLEND
- Item type will generally define loan period (EQUIP-4HR, EQUIP-1WK), except for ebook/e-audiobook readers, laptops, and game controllers
- Item cat1 will be used to define individual media types
- No Library of Congress class numbers are required! Call number should be descriptive of the device (e.g., "LENS 35MM 1:3.5", "DIGITAL CAMCORDER|zNO.50 (SONY HC62)").
- Generally, use the IT barcode number as the volume number (FINANCIAL CALCULATOR|z#21296). For generic equipment lacking an IT registration ID ("USB 2.0 THUMB DRIVE", "FLIP VIDEO CAMCORDER"), assign no volume number, but rather make each device a copy.
- Price information should be entered on the item record, as this is used when billing patrons for loss or destruction of the device. If no cost information has been provided by IT, use price quote from Amazon.com.
Title (bib) record for equipment.
Device item record for equipment with IT inventory barcode numbers. Use a separate call number record for each device.
Device item record for device with no IT inventory numbers. Treat as copies.
Equipment for College of Education Media Center (LRL)
Much of the CoEMC equipment was entered into the catalog under different expectations, so call number records with often have individual access numbers, plus some remaining bib records describing makes and models of devices. This model does not need to be continued.
Also note that we have not yet negotiated with CoEMC on Symphony item policies, so further information is pending.
Equipment Item Type Values
Amazon/Sony E-book reader
USB 2.0 thumbdrive
Equipment Item Cat1 Values