Current Kindle eBook Workflow (as of September 17, 2014)
Kindle eBook cataloging requests are triggered by an Amazon purchase receipt sent to the NCSU kindlestrikeforce listserv:
- ADS purchases a Kindle ebook for a device
- Amazon purchase receipt is forwarded to the acq-monographs account.
- Title information and link are added to the Kindle Cataloging spreadsheet Google doc
- Titles are assigned to individual staff members for cataloging
- Search Sirsi.
- If the title has not already been cataloged, search for, derive, or create a Provider Neutral ebook record.
- If an original record is required (no suitable print version from which an ebook record can be derived) create original
- Information on deriving a Provider Neutral record from a print record can be found on the E-Book Cataloging page.
- use Constant data Derived Ebook RDA or the Connection macro
- Information on editing a provider-specific record to make it Provider Neutral can be found on the E-Book Cataloging -- Provider Neutral records page.
- If the Provider Neutral record is new, or has been created by editing a provider specific record, save it to WorldCat.
- For a new record: Menu item Action --> Holdings --> Udate Holdings
- For an existing record which has been edited: Menu item Action --> Replace Record
- Apply the Constant Data record appropriate to your record (AACR2 or RDA)
- Apply Constant Data called Kindle ebook RDA
To apply Constant Data records: Menu item Edit --> Constant Data --> Online --> Apply by Name... (or Apply from List). Only apply Variable fields!
- Add the ASIN from the Amazon page for the title to the 500 note added via the Constant Data.
- Edit the call number so that instead of ending in "ebook," it ends in "Kindle ebook" (you may have to add/create a call number)
- Add your initials to the record.
- RDA records should have a 338 field for "other computer carrier" supplied by the Constant Data. Delete the 338 that says "online resource"
- Export the record from Connexion and import into SIRSI. Watch for overlays!
- Do not accidentally overlay an existing print record. See E-Book Cataloging for info on bringing in the ebook record without overlaying the print.
- Do not overlay an existing ebook record from another provider. Let someone know if you have difficulty bringing in the Kindle record without overlaying the existing ebook record.
- Add the item record:
- Library = DHHILL
- Item Type = EBOOK
- Location = TECHLEND
- Set the Date Cataloged to TODAY
- Mark the record as complete on the spreadsheet by filling in the Catalog Date field.
Kindle Workflow Diagram