- Materials with a RUSH flag should be expedited
- A&D will receive both the VHS tape and DVD
- DVDs go to TEACH-DVD
- VHS tapes go to bookBot (shadowed)
- Discharge the VHS tape and checkout to CATALOGING
- Open VHS bib record in Sirsi
- In the Call Number/Item record:
- Note the current library and home location (the DVD will use the same library and home location)
- Library = BOOKBOT
- Home Location = STACKS
- Item record = SHADOW ITEM
- Note: Some VHS tapes already use the library BOOKBOT and home location STACKS. In this case, you only need to shadow the item record.
- Add circ note: This VHS tape was reformatted to DVD in 2016 and should not circulate. Use the DVD format. Contact Collection Management for more information.
- Save and close the record
Add Duplicate Title
Set Wizard Properties:
Title default values
Format = VM
Add item when creating title = Checked
Call number default values
Library = DHHILL
Class scheme = LC
Item required default values
Type = TEACH-DVD
Home location = MEDIA-CIRC
If you receive the Sirsi Duplicate Title message, "The format of the record you are about to duplicate is Visual materials format. The format you have in your properties is Books format. Having different formats will force you to delete some data. You can select the format you want to use for the new record," either select "VM" from the drop-down menu or cancel and change the Duplicate title wizard properties above.
Bib Record Edits
- Update fixed fields
- REMOVE 918 (Do not forget this step)
- Remove 001
- Remove 003
- Update 007 field
"d" for videodisc instead of "f" for videocassette
"v" for DVD instead of "b" for VHS
"i" for sound on the videodisc instead of "h" for sound on the videotape
"z" for Other (dimensions) instead of "r" for 3/4 in.
- Remove 035 field(s)
- Update 245 |h (if necessary)
For AACR2 records, the |h should be "[videorecording]"
If you have an RDA or hybrid record (unlikely as these will be old records), the 338 will need to be fixed "videodisc|bvd|2rdacarrier"
- Update the 300 field.
"videocassette" becomes "videodisc" ; "1/2 in." becomes "4 3/4 in."
- Check and edit 508 field for completness. Add if absent and information is available on VHS container.
- Check and edit 511 field for completness. Add if absent and information is available on VHS container.
- Update 538
"DVD, Region 0"
- Check and edit 7XX fields for completness based on 508 and 511 fields.
- Add 590
590 note: DVD is a locally reformatted copy from VHS tape.
Call Number/Item Record Edits
- Use the same call number as the VHS tape. If the VHS tape was not classified, provide a full call number for the DVD.
- Barcode the DVD
- Library and home location
- Library = DHHILL
- Type = TEACH-DVD
- Home location = MEDIA-CIRC
- Add circ note: This DVD may only be used on the premises of the library or for classroom use.
- Check DVD out to INPROCESS
- Rubberband the VHS tape and DVD together
- Send both the VHS tape and DVD to Preservation
Preservation staff will:
- Repackage the DVD
- Perform DVD marking and shelf prep
- Apply the reformatting note sticker to the DVD: "This DVD may only be used on the premises of the library or for classroom use."
- Send the VHS tape to the BOOKBOT, attn: Carl Piraneo
- Send the DVD to the Hill ADS (location: TEACH-DVD)