We no longer receive these donations, but many remain in the collection. 11/27/18
Sigma Xi Donations
Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society is the prestigious science society which publishes a journal called The American Scientist. It is so prestigious, in fact, that authors from everywhere send them new books to review. The reviews are published in the journal and become free ads for the authors. Because the society is not-for-profit, it can't resale the books, but must donate them to someone else. So, when they accumulate books, they donate them to NCSU, Duke, UNC, and NCCU on a rotating basis. We get every 4th shipment and keep them all. The other three schools get a shipment, but do not keep them all due to space and/or specialty.
We get our donation from Sigma Xi and the discards from our TRLN partners. We process them quickly because there's no tax consequence to us -- Sigma Xi is not claiming them as a tax write-off.
We add all Sigma Xi donations and send our benefactors an acknowledgement letter from the Director and the Friends of Library Office. Each book receives a Sigma Xi bookplate.
Sigma Xi donations are processed as follows:
Collection Manager, Orion Pozo, is the subject specialist and coordinator for these materials.
- These donations take priority over other gift categories, e.g. branch items, donor gifts. We process them expeditiously to get the titles and holdings into the Integrated Library System (ILS); to prevent the buying of the same.
- Gift coordinator creates a NCSU BA-151 Form and FOL Donation form for the titles, using the count and value on the Sigma Xi packing slip
- Gift coordinator sends BA-151 to FOL
- ALL titles are added, regardless of number of copies.
- Added copies location:
- If DHHill owns a copy, place new one at Hill
- If Hunt owns a copy, place new one at Hunt
- If first copy is located in NRL, place the new one at Hill
- If NEW to the collection, check the designated call number range for Hunt. Add item accordingly.
- Add 590 note "This book was presented by Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society, publisher of American Scientist"
- Attach a Sigma Xi bookplate.
- G:\Acquisitions & Discovery\Monographs Unit\Gifts\PROCEDURES\BOOKPLATES\Bookplates for Books\Bookplate Sigma Xi
- ITEMCAT3 = GIFT
Contact info for Sigma Xi Donation Questions
Editor, Scientists' Nightstand
American Scientist, americanscientist.org
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
PO Box 13975 see below for street address
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-3975
STREET ADDRESS UNTIL JULY 2, 2015:
3106 East NC Highway 54
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
STREET ADDRESS BEGINNING JULY 6, 2015:
Cape Fear Bldg, Suite 300
3200 Chapel Hill Nelson Highway
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-0013